Health was one of the very first government functions to be devolved. And with it, the government deemed it wise to reclassify the different government hospitals afresh. This is how the various hospital levels including level 5 hospitals were born.
Level 5 hospital meaning
Before we look at the List of level 5 hospitals in Kenya, let’s understand the meaning of the term level 5.
In short, level 5 hospital means provincial hospitals (if you’re to use the old categorization) or simply secondary facilities.
Level 5 health facilities are to deliver assorted medicare services as well as training services for various groups of health workers and internships. They also provide specialized care functions besides coordinating the management and extending health support to the sub counties.
Other categories of hospitals in Kenya
Here are the other categories:
- Level 1 hospitals: This is the basic level and represents community-run hospitals.
- Level 2 hospitals: All dispensaries and clinics are classified as level 2.
- Level 3 hospitals: Health Centres in various sub counties (sub district hospitals) belong here. This also includes maternity homes and sub district hospitals.
- Level 4 hospitals: All the former district hospitals (currently referred to as primary facilities) are assigned to this class.
- Level 6 hospitals: These are the largest referral national hospitals including Moi referral and teaching hospital as well as Kenyatta National Hospital.
List of level 5 hospitals in Kenya
Here now is the list of level 5 hospitals in Kenya as currently constituted in different counties:
1. Nakuru Level 5 Hospital
Location: London, Nakuru Town West, along the Nakuru-Sigor Road
Telephone: 0721 750460
Email address: email@example.com
Postal address: P.O Box 71- 2 0100 Nakuru
2. Coast General Hospital Level 5
Location: Bondeni, Kisauni Road, Mombasa city
Telephone: 0722 207868
Postal address: P.O Box 90231, 80100-Mombasa
3. Embu Level 5 Hospital
Location: Njukiiri, Embu West in Embu County along the Embu-Meru Highway.
Telephone: 068-2231055/6 or 068-2231156
Postal address: P.O. Box 33, 60100-Embu
4. Othaya Level 5 hospital
Location: Othaya town, along the Kiria-ini – Othaya road
Telephone: 0722 207868
Postal address: P. O BOX 83-10106, Othaya
5. Machakos Level 5 Hospital
Location: Masaku Township, Machakos
Telephone: 044 2021685/ 0722313913
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal address: P.O Box 1, 90100-Machakos
6. Thika Level 5 Hospital
Location: Thika Town, General Kago Road, Kamenu
Email address: email@example.com
Postal address: P.O Box 227, 01000-Thika
7. Kakamega Level 5 Hospital
Location: 1 Kilometre from Kakamega Town’s CBD
Telephone:054-31551/0720-295739/ 0715 671123
Postal address: P.O Box 15, 50100-Kakamega
8. Garissa Level 5 Hospital
Location: Along Kismayu Road about 1.5 kilometres from Garissa Town’s CBD
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal address: P.O. Box 29,70100-Garissa
9. Nyeri Level 5 Hospital
Location: Nyeri Town, Way to Kangemi (Past Nyamachaki primary), Opp. St Mary Boys
Telephone: 0724 249693/ 061-2030993/819
Email address: email@example.com
Postal address: P.O. Box 27-10100, Nyeri
10. Meru Level 5 Hospital
Location: Imenti North, Meru
Telephone: 064-32370/0772 207572
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal address: P.O Box 8, 60200-Meru
11. Mama Lucy Kibaki Hospital
Location: Kangundo Rd, Embakasi (Umoja estate), Nairobi
Telephone: 0722 533650
Email address: email@example.com
Postal address: P.O Box 34349-00100 Nairobi
12. Kisumu Level 5 Hospital (Jaramogi Oginga Odinga Teaching and Referral Hospital.)
Location: Kisumu Town East, Kondele area, past Pramukh supermarket
Telephone: 0733 888 579/ 057-2020801/2020803
Email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Postal address: P.O. Box 1818, 40100-Kisumu