Granted , you don’t have to buy everything from Amazon because nowadays there all these numerous local online shops proving as good as the e-commerce giant.
But again, some of the products are so cheap on Amazon that you can’t help but turn your back on the local shops.
In that case, you need to know how to shop on amazon from kenya
Why buy on Amazon?
Just before we get down to business, what makes Amazon such unique?
- The Price
If you want to save hefty money on products such as electronics (and others), amazon is the place to be. You will find some laptops costing as much as 40% less than the locally listed prices.
If for example the laptop is priced at Kes.80,000 locally, my math tells me you can save as much as Kes.32,000 by buying on amazon kenya website
Even if you’re to factor in shipping costs, customs, and handling, you’ll still be left with some good money!
If you’re not a ‘China’ guy, then you have to fall in love with amazon com Kenya. You’ll get all the original brands like Sony, Henry’s, A-grade household items, and more easily on the website.
And don’t get me wrong! I’m not saying that everything from the Chinese is bad. Rather, I’m just pointing out that it’s easier to get top-quality goods on Amazon than it is on Alibaba and its peers.
Whatever you are shopping for, Amazon is quite an efficient service. Yes, an item may take even 3 whole month (though some takes as little as 2 weeks) but the thing is cases of lost or mishandled deliveries are very rare
Can you now see why some people keep on searching for amazon kenya contacts?
What you can buy from Amazon?
Even before we look at the steps of importing to kenya from amazon, let me say this: Amazon is a giant!
By this I mean you can practically by anything – save from a soul(lol)- from Amazon. We’re talking about books, utensils, cars, clothing, hardware products, pet foods, sanitary items..name it.
In fact, if you check Google Kenya searches, Kenyans import more phones, books, laptops, and general electronics from the massive online store. That explains the prevalence of searches search as “amazon kenya phones”, “amazon books Kenya”, “amazon kenya laptops” and “amazon kenya electronics” on the search engine …
Any of these searches will give you hundreds- possibly thousands- of products to choose from.
How to buy products from Amazon to Kenya
You can use AmazonGlobal when shopping instead of Amazon USA/UK since it simplifies international shipments to Kenya and other countries.
Through it, Amazon collects even some duty and tax deposits during checkout to be used to during clearance at the local customs office on arrival.
The carrier or shipping agent will use the cash to settle import fees on arrival such that you just go to collect your item (or have it delivered to your doorstep).
You may however need to top up any customs deficits when picking up your shopping.
How to shop on amazon from Kenya : Step by Step guide
Stage 1: Register with Amazon
You need to Open an account with amazon before buying. But that shouldn’t worry you since registering on amazon ebay Kenya is a breeze.
Steps: Go to Amazon website here
Enter the simple details- name, email, and a good password (having some numbers, letters –upper and lower case-, and special characters e.g. KEnya123#&1), re-enter the password then click create your account.
Note that the password must be at least 6 characters.
That’s all. Your account is now ready. You will also be receiving alerts from Amazon through the specified email address.
Stage 2: Link Your Account to a credit/debit card like KCB Pepea Card
Though not mandatory, adding your bank’s credit/debit card to your amazon account makes the process smoother. (but don’t worry about it since you can always buy via mpesa- more later)
Here is how;
- Visit Amazon Payments here
- Log in to the Amazon account using your email and password.
- Click Edit (My) Account Settings.
- Click Add, my credit cards (You can also edit or delete cards)
- Enter your credit card and your billing address (Physical location address where you want your goods to be delivered to).
- Finish by Clicking Add New Card.
Stage 3: Shop for the Item
By now, your account is ‘complete’ and ready. So, can we look at how to Order and ship cargo to Kenya from Amazon?
- Go to your amazon account . (If you had signed out, you will be asked to login again at some point).
- In the search button, type the name of what you are looking for. For instance, I am looking for a good laptop so I will type laptops.
- Browse through the different results and click the item that interests you. In my case I was inspired by the Dell Inspiron High Performance Laptop
- Click add to cart on the right hand side then proceed to check out. You may be asked to sign in if you hadn’t.
- Now enter your shipping details:
Now, this is HUGELY IMPORTANT step:
Option 1: Use the Post office address in Kenya.
Works provided the item you selected is marked as “delivers to Kenya”. You just enter your usual PO address. Your product(s) will be delivered to Posta by their US counterparts and you will receive a call/notification to collect them.
Your Name: e.g. James Oloo
Address line 1: Enter the PO. E.g. P.o Box 1234
Address line 2: Street address e.g. Haile Selassie Avenue
ZIP: Your postal code e.g. 00200 for City Square
Phone number: Your usual phone number. E.g. 0700123456
The option could, however, be a bit expensive and remember the item must be marked “delivers to kenya” on Amazon which isn’t the case always.
Click continue to have the money deducted from your credit/debit card. Then if all goes well, just wait for the notification that your item has arrived in Nairobi’s city square post office or whichever Posta you used.
Option 2: Use a friends address
Since most items don’t ship via the above method, ask for the address of a friend /relative who lives in the USA.
You will enter the details as follows:
Your Name: e.g. James Oloo
Phone: e.g. 0722123456
Street Address: what he/she gave you
City: What he/she gave you
State: What he/she gave you
Zip Code: What he/she gave you
So, those are the details you request for. The item will be delivered to their address meaning you have to sweet-talk your friend because he will then have to courier the item to Kenya.
Option 3: Use StatesDuka.Com
StatesDuka.com is a company which ships stuff from the USA to Kenya and east Africa for a small charge.
To have them act as your delivery agents, enter the following shipping address:
Your Name: e.g. James Oloo
Phone: e.g. 0722123456
Street Address: 1801 Excise Ave Suite 111
State: California (CA)
Zip Code: 91761
After checking out, email them your package’s tracking to allow them follow your goods (shipping only option).
Once they receive your package at their USA office, they will notify you and request that you pay the shipping charges through their MPESA till number or by a direct bank deposit at their KCB bank account.
Their rates starts at $15 per kg and they ship within 10-14 days.
On arrival, their staff in Nairobi contacts you and asks that you go collect the item.
Nairobi: (+254) 72 220 9048, Brandonethan House, Kolobot Road, Nairobi (Ground floor)
U.S.A: +1 (949)531 9105
Register for StatesDuka.com here to access these services
Option 4: Use VituMob App.
VituMob enables Kenyans (and East Africans) to shop online from over twenty ecommerce websites including Amazon and accepts payments via M-Pesa or credit cards.
The best part:
VituMob delivers directly to your doorstep, if you so choose.
NOTE: If you’ll be using Vitumob, you have to shop from the in-browser app (not from the website as we had seen above)
1. Download Vitumob (to your computer) at vitumob.com (click here to install and remember to say add extension- Google Chrome browser only). This installs an extension to your web browser to allow you to shop.
2. It takes a few seconds, and immediately it finishes, a VituMob button appears on the top right hand side of your browser screen.
3. How to buy on Amazon from VituMob
While still on their website, Click on Amazon.com from the VituMob’s shopping guide area.
- Choose your products and load them to your shopping cart.
- When checking out, click on your VituMob button on the browser.
- Confirm your shopping cart then complete your purchase by clicking the VituMob button on the upper right area side of your web browser. (don’t click the usual proceed to checkout on Amazon- you checkout using Vitumob Button)
The app will load you order details, calculate shipping, customs, and everything else then display the quotation on your screen. That’s the time to checkout.
Now, enter your contact details (name, email, and phone), delivery location and how you will be paying.
The biggest advantage of VituMob is that you can pay using PayPal, MPESA, AirTel Money, or the credit card.
Finally, click submit order.
Now, I choose to pay amazon via mpesa
Paying for your Amazon Purchases using Mpesa
- Go to M-Pesa menu on your phone
- Choose “Pay Bill”
- Enter VituMob’s Business Number as 823823
- Enter the Order number as shown as account number on the screed
- Enter the Price again as the amount displayed on the screen
- Enter your MPESA PINand then
- Confirm the details and okay the transaction.
That’s all friend. Relax and wait for your products from vitumob app!
And by the way, vitumob Kenya door to door deliveries in Nairobi are free of charge!
Watch this superb video explaining all this.
Option 5: Use kentexcargo
Freight forwarding company KentexCargo can also deliver your stuff from Amazon affordably. Besides, they are also reliable for ebay shipping to Kenya and more.
According to kentex cargo blog, they deliver in 2 weeks ( air freight) and 8 weeks (bulky sea shipping cargo) with their rates starting at $15 per kg.
- Log in to Amazon, choose the goods you like and email their links to firstname.lastname@example.org .
- kentex cargo tracking address will email you the invoice and payments instructions. If not that, Visit their offices at Muthithi road, Westlands to print payments instructions.
- Once you pay to Equity bank, the orders are purchased in USA then shipped to you. At the moment, kentex cargo Nairobi doesn’t accept MPESA payments.
You can check KenTexcargo receiving details USA from this link.
Option 6: Use savostore kenya
Savo Store is a popular shopping and parcel delivery service that connects you to your favorite products on U.S. internet stores.
They shop for you then deliver to Kenya.
Alternatively, you can purchase on Amazon then enter their U.S.A. address as your shipping address. The company forwards the package to your address in Kenya through air freight.
Steps: Shop on amazon Using Savo Store’s Shipping address
- Register an account with Savo store.
- Shop on Amazon.com as we discussed earlier and add the items to the cart, pay and check out.
- When checking out, enter their U.S.A. Address as your preferred Shipping to Kenya Address.
Your Name: James Oloo
Phone: e.g. 0722123456
Street Address: 17401 Nichols Ln SUITE J
City: Huntington Beach
State: California (CA)
Zip Code: 92647
- When they receive your package, they weigh it and send you a billing invoice. You’ll then be expected to pay- either by MPESA, PayPal, and a host of credit cards using the instructions given on the screen depending on the option you use.
You can get an estimate of your shipping charges here.
- They will then ship to your chosen location in Kenya- at a small fee- or their offices at no extra cost within 7-15 working days.
Steps: Let Savo Store Shop and deliver for you
- Register an account with Savo store
- Click the Get a Quotebutton to get an estimate of the amount it will cost for the item you’re buying. Fill out the information and submit it. Log back into the account after 24 – 48 hours to check the price plus delivery cost for your order to Kenya. An e-mail confirming the amount quoted.
- Pay the quoted amount in full through the specified StanBic Bank account or MPESA.
- They will then deliver 15 – 20 working days or less.
Savo Store Nairobi Office Location: Vision Plaza, Mombasa Road, Unit 29
Telephone: 0722 724741
Other buy online and ship to Kenya Options:
- Amazon uk shipping to Kenya: Parcel2Kenya ?( shopping from uk to kenya)
- Jamex Express
Our Recommendation on how to shop on amazon from Kenya
That’s our epic guide on how to shop on amazon from Kenya and I hope this will help.
Overall, Savo Store offer cheap shipping to Kenya. Vitumob, Kentex, and Posta are also quite reliable.
I rate Savo Store very highly courtesy of the professional and consistent service. Plus, they do replace lost items -which by the way happens rarely- at no extra cost. Plus they’re pretty much on time always.
Savostore also has an amazing customer service and will deliver to your office or home at an extra Kes.250 (Nairobi and its environs).
My second favorite is Vitumob. They have an incredible service all along the process updating you frequently, and deliver right to your home though you’ve to cough up more.
Otherwise, they’ve lots of great reviews.
Lastly, kentexcargo has been in the business for long and I would recommend them for bulky purchases.
As usual, these are just our views and do not in any way guarantee anything from the companies so do your due diligence before committing.
MORE: How to make money on facebook in Kenya