Since it was started in 2011, equity wings to fly scholarship has seen thousands of bright but needy students join prestigious high schools on a full sponsorship.
The scholarship program is indeed one of the biggest in Kenya and aims at eventually granting over 10,000 full secondary/high school/university scholarships plus leadership training to the academically gifted but economically disadvantaged Kenyans.
Now, the 2018 KCPE results are already out and as usual, Equity Group Foundation will be sponsoring hundreds of deserving students to their school of choice.
Here is what to know and how to apply for equity wings to fly scholarship for secondary schools 2019.
Who is eligible for the equity wings to fly scholarship?
- The program funds students who have excelled in 2018 KCPE and are at least ranked in the top 5 percentile overall KCPE examinations. The benchmark is 350 marks at the KCPE.
- The applicant must be a genuine orphan or a vulnerable child due to any of the following reasons:
- The Child has lost one or the two parents and lacks a guardian/sponsor to fund for their education
- The parents are physically/mentally disabled and unable to finance their children’s education.
- The parent(s) is living with chronic debilitating illnesses such as HIV/AIDS and are again unable to educate the child.
- The Child comes from a family affected by a natural disaster such as drought, flooding, and famine and are incapable of educating the children
- The child has suffered neglect/abandonment.
- The child’s parents live under extreme poverty conditions and are thus unable to educate the child.
Additionally, students must have a dire need for financial aid due to factors such as social marginalization and economic vulnerability.
How are the scholars identified?
Local community partners assembled under the DSSB (District Scholarship Selection Boards) coordinate the recruitment in all recruiting districts supervised by the local Equity Bank branch.
These are the people responsible for screening, selection, interview, and eventual awarding of the scholarship.
What does the scholarship cover?
The program is a comprehensive package that funds tuition fee, all books, school uniforms, transport costs, and even pocket money for the four secondary school years.
Scholars also receive free leadership development, mentorship, and career guidance to ensure they attain their full potential.
Does The Wings To Fly program select the secondary schools that the successful scholars attend?
No. The programme supports scholars in whatever schools the Ministry of Education admits them to.
Scholarship Application Process
The Wings To Fly scholarship initiative is very transparent and the selection process thorough.
Here is how it goes.
- Pick the Scholarship application forms from the nearest Equity Bank branches and/or Equity agents immediately. You can also download the wings to fly equity bank application form 2019 here.
- Complete the forms as required by filling all the required information (in capital letters) then return the duly filled form to the equity bank branch near you.
- If your child qualifies, he/she will be called for the interviews by the DSSB on an appointed date at a specified venue.
He/she will be expected to carry all the original documents during the interview date. The interviews cover general and academic questions. There is also some vetting on applicants. The successful candidates will be informed thereafter.
- Home visits: Candidates succeed during the interviews will then be visited at their home by select DSSB members to confirm the stated information and also what they shared with the panel during the interviews.
- If the panel is satisfied, he/she will finally be issued with the scholarship letter and invited for the district flag off ceremonies.
District Flag Off Ceremonies
The flag off ceremonies are to send the selected scholars to Nairobi to undergo their mandatory induction and commissioning of the scholarship program.
The beneficiaries are also expected to build camaraderie and cohesion, in addition to creating a great network amongst themselves which they are to maintain throughout their secondary school tenure.
The equity wings to fly scholarship application is very simple: pick the form/download through the link above, fill it, and hand it in to the local equity bank branch.
From there, wait for the interviews and if all goes well (hopefully it will), the program could open the doors to a super bright future for your needy child.
Overall, the equity wings to fly scholarship program has been a godsend to the country as a whole.